Monday, September 12, 2011

tune in

I grew up thinking my dad's name was Dearheart 1. because it was true and 2. this is what my mom called him when I was little...before my sister and I became...well...annoying  demanding. It was when we started taking up too much bandwidth that I stopped hearing that term of endearment. I liked that name. It made me feel that I was living amidst a frequency of love.

If you have ever found yourself subsisting on sweet elation for weeks and gazing starry-eyed at a new boyfriend you know the feeling; That insular sensation that noone but the two of you exist in this plush haze of omnicontentment. From your head to your toes you are one with the Universe and feel comfortable enough to make up pet names for each other like "schmoopie" or "sweet thing" or "baby doll" or "honey" or "dearheart" or as my husband calls me "Mamma Cat". It's a long story but suffice to say I believe it to have originated out of jealousy that I am the "go-to" for all the household pets. Before I reach seven Mississippi there is an animal at my feet or on my lap. Really...you too can become a animal whisperer if you learn the magic inherent in a can opener.

I call him Pappa. I like saying it. It is a name that is never used in anger and serves as a double syllabic vehicle of relief. Pahhhhhh - pahhhhh. Awww. Love that sound. Same thing with the name of my dog, Kola...Ahhhhh. Which by the way, didn't know this at the time the name chose us, but I have been told that Kola means "Friend" in Sioux. Perfect. He is every bit of that.

How often do we tune in to Love?  I mean that loopy insanity where nothing can shake you from your sweet, feathered nest? I believe it is possible to achieve this state by oneself. It requires noone but yourself. In fact it is even better that relying on someone else to provide it because it would be stupid to self-disappoint. Right?

Just like a transistor radio you have the ability to receive your desired frequency. You wish to listen to the weather on one station, talk radio that's further down the line, classical...way up at the neck. You must deliberately scroll the dial on the radio to pick up your station of preference.  Presumably you avoid the fields of static and choose something that you enjoy. Right?

How great is it to hear of people falling in love or watching two people walking hand-in-hand down the aisle at the supermarket reluctant to be out of each others physical range! That total heady intoxication that you have felt in your past can simmer in your soul now! At frequent intervals it draws symbols of love to you by way of heart shaped chips, puffy heart shaped clouds, painted hearts on the bottom of tin cans in the middle of the appalachian trail, centercuts of wood, surprise hugs, necco wafers in your folded clothes, boston baked beans in your overnight bag...love as a random act of kindness. It feels good to love...just to love...just because. The more you embody love, the more love embodies you.



You can love another, yes. You can love an animal, yes. You can love a vista, yes. Have you ever tried to capture the feeling of love for love sake alone? To allow yourself to love yourself better that you have loved another? To allow it to stream through your body by just knowing that this frequency exists? Relax into the possibility and let your mind, body and soul tune in.

So my random question to you is:
What are the conditions that ilicit your highest frequency of love?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that you thought Dad's name was Dearheart. You told me that only a few months ago. Great blog, Julie! I will try to achieve what you have suggested and let you know of my results....