Saturday, August 14, 2010

jelly bean siesta

It has taken months and months of preparation for this Moment...this week onboard our humble motor vessel "Spin" anchored in Castle Neck off of Ipswich Bay, MA;My husband's childhood boating turf becoming that of my children.
We have spent seven seasons refining our lists and maneuvers to where we have now successfully achieved family boaters bliss.
My husband has balanced the systems maintenance and aesthetics with clear parameters as to the proportionate time alotted for ATOB...actual time onboard. Nine days onboard does not quantify a two day hull compounding. There are very few shortcuts for engine upkeep which went relatively unthwarted with unanticipated snafus.
My jobs consist of provisioning, clean linens, ship store inventory and making sure that there is enough sugar, hydrogenated fat and salty snack treats to keep the crew happy for days on end.
This year our most beneficial investment of time came in the form of "Boredom Training". Our motto "Piercing through the Veil of Boredom" was an essential element to keeping this season buoyant and joyful. In lieu of back to back summer outsourcing we resorted to puzzles, books and splunki
ng in local streams and riverbeds. Oh jeez...I will admit a slight tarnish of halo and admit that there was significant television exposure involved...but all in all I must say that the process of disconnecting from the seismic shifts of summers gone by was a success...particularly from my current vantage point in an area the size of my pantry...
Yes, all four of us have widdled our 4000 sq.ft. personalities and voices into this space. My husband and I have reclaimed our right to afternoon siestas even if it involves a bag of jelly beans. It has been a lesson in scaling back and slowing down...releasing the need "to do" and exploring the comfort of being; being in the moment, allowing the flow and slowing down to decipher and sort each flavor along the way.

No comments: